Selecting the ideal content syndication partner is a crucial decision when you’re trying to build an effective content syndication program. This guide will explore the key things to consider when evaluating potential content syndication partners.
Define your content syndication goals
With the right partner, you can gain invaluable insights into developing engaging content, generating qualified leads, and continuously improving your strategy. Follow these tips to find a partner that aligns with your goals, audience, and processes.
Before starting your search, clearly define your objectives for content syndication. Common goals include:
- Generating more qualified leads
- Expanding brand awareness
- Driving traffic to your site
- Improving lead conversion rates
- Cultivating loyalty and trust with your audience
Understanding your goals will help you select a partner that can best help you reach them through content syndication.
Your goals for content syndication will set the stage for the type of content you run through the program. Start by thinking about what type of contacts you want. Where do you want them to be in the funnel? Different content works best for different funnel stages. For example, a buying guide will resonate with bottom funnel leads whereas an educational awareness piece works well for higher funnel leads.
Your content syndication partner should be able to give you guidance on the right content to achieve your goals and how to optimize it for results.
Research prospective content syndication partners
Conduct thorough research on potential partners. Look for partners that:
1. Can reach your target audience
This is the most critical factor. Knowing your content syndication partner has access to the right data and uses the right channels to reach your target audience is a must. Ask about their data and make sure they have the information that aligns with your audience demographics, firmographics, and any other important audience information, like intent data, that could be relevant to your targeting.
If you’re only trying to target a specific geography, double check that your potential partner has audience data for your desired geographies.
It’s important that they have high-quality and accurate data so you know you’ll be able to get in front of the right prospects and encourage conversions.
2. Has proven success with content syndication
Look for a partner with a good track record of executing successful content syndication programs for their clients. Ask for case studies and references to verify their expertise.
While you want to choose a content syndication partner who has expertise in content syndication, it can be beneficial to pick a partner who offers other marketing services as well, such as managed email or programmatic campaigns. This way you can expand on your content syndication results and launch a retargeting nurture campaign to get even better results.
Questions to ask potential content syndication partners
Once you’ve researched prospects thoroughly, set up interviews. Prepare questions that highlight how well each partner would fit your goals. Critical questions include:
How syndicated content will be displayed, positioned and promoted?
- How prominently will our content be featured? For example, will your content be promoted in a dedicated email blast, or will it be included in an email newsletter where it is promoted with other content?
- What channels, formats, and placements will you utilize?
- Will our brand be clearly identified as the author? Will you use our companies branding?
- Can we preview and approve it before launch?
Content should be showcased responsibly, transparently, and identified as sponsored. You should always get to approve the positioning and any landing pages and forms before your campaign goes live.
Can you reach my target audience?
- What buyer personas do you cater to? How were these developed?
- What roles and seniority levels are they? What triggers their interest?
- Are they actively researching solutions like ours? What stage of the journey are they in?
Confirm the partner can reach your ideal customers.
How do you track performance?
- How will you measure the success of our content?
- What key metrics and analytics will we have access to?
- How can we optimize over time based on those insights?
You need clear performance tracking to improve and demonstrate ROI. Ask for reader demographics, traffic, conversions, and other analytics.
What is the content production process?
- How will we collaborate on content creation and publishing?
- How can we ensure our brand voice and messaging are conveyed accurately?
- What format, layout, and multimedia options do you offer?
Look for a streamlined process that allows ample review and feedback before launch.
How will you qualify and deliver leads?
- How do you define and measure a qualified lead from our content?
- What secure methods and systems do you use to capture and deliver leads?
- Do you guarantee the quality of your leads?
Confirm their process captures high-quality leads and seamlessly integrates with your tech stack.
What are your pricing models?
- Do you charge based on traffic, leads, or other metrics?
- How have you structured pricing for past clients?
- Do you offer pilot programs?
Check references and samples
Ask for contacts you can interview about their first-hand experience. Reviewing case studies from past programs also gives you an idea of the results you can expect.
Ask to review samples from content syndication campaigns they’ve run for other brands so you can have a good idea of how your content will be presented. Being able to view tangible examples can give you a true view of the quality of their work.
Avoid partners unwilling to provide substantive references or samples. Transparency is a must.
Start small and test extensively
Once you’ve selected a partner, consider runner multiple, smaller test campaigns. Experiment with different types of content as well.
Closely monitor performance and optimize based on results. Be prepared to change approaches if anything is underperforming expectations.
Optimize as you go based on lessons learned through the process. Then scale up your content syndication efforts with proven partners and formats.
Get started with the right content syndication partner
Choosing the right content syndication partner can make or break your lead gen campaign. Follow the steps outlined in this blog and vet potential partners to make sure you get the best outcomes.